Thursday 7 April 2011

Ishant hopes to launch comeback through IPL

Ishanth Sharma
April 7,2011: After having been ignored from the Indian limited-overs' side in recent times, Ishant Sharma is looking forward to making an impact in the IPL to launch his comeback. "Cricket is my passion and the hunger to be part of the best possible action is natural," Ishant was quoted in the website of Deccan Chargers, who he will represent in the IPL this year. "There comes a time in every sportsperson's life when one has to prove to oneself. I am probably going through that phase and would like to challenge myself in the upcoming IPL to win back my place in the Indian side."

Though he has been a regular member of the Test team, Ishant has not played an ODI since August 2009 and has proved to be expensive in the format, losing out to the likes of Praveen Kumar, Sreesanth and Munaf Patel. But Ishant has taken the setbacks in his stride.

"Being in and out of sides is part and parcel of a sportsperson's life and I'd like to take it on the chin," he said. "I am just trying to forget the past and start afresh. Right now, the focus is on IPL and I want to give it my 100%. I will do my best for Hyderabad."

Despite having a Twenty20 economy rate close to eight runs an over, Ishant feels that the format is as much a challenge for the batsmen as it is for the bowlers. "You've got to go with your instincts, believe in your strong points and bowl to your strength rather than think about the batsmen's plus points.

"I have worked on and added variations to my bowling armoury and will hopefully execute them to good effect in the IPL. The slower ones, the yorkers are all key deliveries in this format and you have to use them judiciously. You've got to change your line and length constantly and plan every ball.

"The margin of error for a fast bowler is minimal but I feel the key is to keep it simple. One has to be on top of the game and not complicate things. Zaheer Khan's approach at the recently concluded World Cup is a case in point."

Deccan play their first game against Rajasthan Royals in Hyderabad on April 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment